Montsalvat is proud to announce the forthcoming Rick Amor Self Portrait Prize 2019, sponsored by prominent Australian artist, Rick Amor
Prize: $20,000 (non-acquisitive)
Montsalvat Peoples Choice (sponsored by Montsalvat): $1,000
Judge: Prudence Flint
Entries open ... Tuesday 30th July 2019
Entries close ... Thursday 12th September
Entrants notified by ... 9th October 2019
Selected works delivered ... 8 November – 10 November 2019
Exhibition opening ... Thursday 14 November 2019, 6.30pm
Exhibition ... 14 November 2019 – 26 January 2020
Conditions of Entry
1. The work must be painted without assistance from digital technology. Work should be painted from life
2. Maximum size 73cm. x 60cm. or 32 inches x 24 inches unframed
3. Mediums: all traditional mediums including oil, acrylic, gouache, egg tempera, watercolour on all traditional surfaces
4. This prize is non-acquisitive
5. The Rick Amor Self Portrait Prize is open to Australian Citizens living in Australia or abroad
6. Current employees of Montsalvat are ineligible to apply
7. A maximum of one artwork per artist can be submitted
8. All shortlisted works will be chosen by a selection panel whose decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into
9. Changes must not be made to the work once it has been submitted. The selectors reserve the right to exclude any work
10. Must have been painted after 1 January 2018
11. To be eligible for selection the entry must be submitted by end of day on Thursday 12th September 2019 through the online booking portal. No late submissions will be accepted.
12. Works may be offered for sale and will be accordingly listed in a Price List with the sale status entered being a price or NFS (not for sale). The final price in the catalogue must include the GST (10%) and the Gallery commission of 33.3%
13. Shortlisted 2D works must be mounted or framed professionally and ready for hanging with our wire-based hanging system. Montsalvat’s uneven walls and heritage listing mean that pins, nails, magnets or similar are not permitted to be used. Please note that any works which do not comply with this will not be hung
14. The work must be clearly marked on the back with artist’s name, address, contact details and title of work
15. Artists must provide high resolution digital images of their work with their completed entry form. These images must be in JPG format, and have a file size of no less than 1mb
16. Works must be delivered to the Barn Gallery at Montsalvat between Friday 8 November and Monday 10 November, between the hours of 10am and 4pm. On delivery, the artist or person delivering the work on their behalf will be required to sign a condition report. At the conclusion of the exhibition, upon collecting the work, the artist or person collecting on their behalf will be required to sign a second condition report
17. An entry fee of $45 applies to each entry for the prize, including those not selected for exhibition. The entry fee is payable by credit card (MasterCard or Visa) at the online entry portal at the time of entry. Payments will not incur an additional processing fee. Montsalvat will not store any payment details, or share your information with a third party.
Any entry for which payment has not been received by the submission deadline will not be eligible for selection. The entry fee is non-refundable and contributes to administration and handling of entries for the Prize.
18. The entrant warrants that the work is original and does not infringe the copyright, moral rights or other rights of any third party. The entrant indemnifies Montsalvat against any loss resulting from breach of these warranties
19. By submitting a work to the Prize, entrants acknowledge that the organisers have the right to photograph and video all entries to the exhibition and that such photographs and videos shall remain the property of the organisers who shall have the right to use the images for exhibition, promotion or educational documentation, including the promotion of forthcoming exhibitions. Shortlisted entrants must make themselves and the artwork available for marketing and media opportunities in relation to the promotion of the Prize and its finalist exhibition, at the invitation of Montsalvat.
20. Where possible, shortlisted entrants should attend the Exhibition Opening on Thursday 14 November 2019 at 6.30pm. Those unable to attend should nominate a representative to be in attendance on their behalf
21. At the completion of the exhibition unsold work must be collected on Monday 27 January, Tuesday 28 January or Wednesday 29 January 2020, between the hours of 10am and 4pm. If the work is not collected on one of the dates as specified above, a storage fee of $10 per day will be charged to the artist. If due to extenuating circumstances the artist is unable to collect their work on any of those days and has contacted Montsalvat by no later than 13 January 2020 to make other arrangements, the storage fee may be waived. Please note the Barn Gallery is frequently busy with openings, concerts and other events. Staff cannot guarantee that they will be able to assist with the collection of work outside of the specified collection dates if arrangements are not made in advance
22. While all reasonable care will be taken, Montsalvat will accept no responsibility for damage to work during installation, display or dismantling of the exhibition. The participating artist/owner(s) is responsible for:
a) insurance of all works for the duration of the exhibition including delivery and collection and
b) delivery, collection and any associated costs of works entered in the exhibition
23. The Montsalvat People’s Choice Award is selected by members of the public visiting the finalist exhibition. Votes are tallied at the end of the exhibition and announced on Monday 26 January 2020.