Clay Talk @ Montsalvat
Clay Talk is a new ceramics centre located in the grounds of Montsalvat. It's a space for those of you who seek to embrace the pursuit of ceramics.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to keep up to date with classes, workshops and events at Clay Talk
At Clay Talk you can discover both wheel throwing and handbuilding. It doesn’t matter if you’ve never touched clay before, want a refresher course or are keen to develop your skills further. Our class sizes are kept small so you can learn at your own pace.
Take a look at our available courses below to find one that suits you.
You can also give someone special a course gift voucher, available in our Made @ Montsalvat shop.
Clay Talk's creation is a natural extension of Montsalvat’s already rich history as a place where art is made, taught, shown and experienced. The centre aims to foster learning and inspire creativity by bringing students and practitioners together through education and skills-based programs.
At Clay Talk, students can progressively develop their wheel throwing and hand building skills. There are also opportunities for practicing ceramicists to explore specialized techniques taught by established artists known in their field.
In the future, we hope to have studio spaces available to rent for ceramic artists as well as visiting artists (national or international) involved in workshops, talks, residencies and/or projects.
THE CLAY TALK @ MONTSALVAT TEAM
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Ceramics) Honours 1st Class, RMIT University.
- Currently undertaking Postgraduate studies in Fine Arts, RMIT University – The creative practice led research in ceramic sculptural installation explores a cultural narrative.
- Selected in major sculptural and fine art exhibitions nationally; art residencies and workshops in ceramics, overseas.
- Recipient of scholarships, grants and fellowship to develop ceramics practice.
- Extensive experience in tertiary education sector with respect to research, teaching and supervision of students.
- Initiated and coordinated projects including establishing collaborations in the tertiary sector, grants management and liaising with government/private sector.
Facility & Business Coordinator
- Diploma of Ceramics, Holmesglen TAFE.
- Creates functional and decorative pieces as well as sculptures and jewellery, particularly using clay as a canvas, layering glazes to create abstracted landscapes.
- Plans to investigate further the creation of experiential works so the audience is more than just an observer of objects.
- Worked in the marketing, administration, customer service and English language teaching in Melbourne, London and Florence but core career has been in marketing and communications within both the public and private sectors.
- Currently attempting to balance freelancing in the corporate world with developing a ceramics practice.
Kiln Technician & Studio Assistant
- Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art ) – Object Based Practice, RMIT University.
- Keen interest in different firing techniques.
- Currently establishing his ceramics practice including building his own kiln.
CLAY TALK TUTORS
- Ceramic artist since 2010 making both wheel thrown and handbuilt ceramics.
- Diploma of Ceramics, Chisholm TAFE.
- Has completed second year of a Bachelor of Fine Art,RMIT University.
- Teaches ceramics to students of all ages and skill levels.
Sophie Moorhouse Morris
- Artist and designer for more than eight years
- Completed a Bachelor of Fine Arts (Ceramics), RMIT University
- Attended a six-month exchange, Gerrit Rietveld Academie, Amsterdam in 2010/11
- Held exhibitions, received grants, internships and residencies both during her studies and afterwards
- Self-runs the design label Bakerhouse
- Has taught ceramics courses and run workshops both in Melbourne and internationally
WHERE TO FIND US
During Montsalvat’s opening hours, come to Reception in the Barn Gallery. They can direct you to Clay Talk.
Note: We’re not always open when Montsalvat is, so please email us to organise a time to visit. If you’re already at Montsalvat and our main door is open, come in and say hello. Just be aware that when classes are running, our tutors won’t be able to show you around – they’ll be focused on teaching students.